Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Denise Levertov / Room




The Room
by Denise Levertov
BIOGRAPHY

With a mirror
I could see the sky.

With two mirrors or three
justly placed, I could see
the sun bowing to the evening chimneys.

Moonrise -the moon itself might appear
in a fourth mirror placed high
and close to the open window.

                   With enough mirrors within
and even without the room, a cantilever
supporting them, mountains
and oceans might be manifest.

I understand perfectly
that I could encounter my own eyes
too ofen -I take account
of the danger-
                     If the mirrors
are large enough, and arranged
with bravura, I can look
beyond my own glance.

With one mirror
how many stars could I see?

I don't want to escape, only to see
the enactment of rites.




Collected Earlier Poems, 1940-1960
New Directions Publishing Corporation, 1979



No comments:

Post a Comment